Outside View

Outside View
The Exterior View of New Orleans Townhouse

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Painted Lady Basement Layout

I added the basement because I wanted to give it the profile of the row houses in San Francisco. I'd been saving the steps from the La Chateau Dollhouse kit and really wanted a project to make good use of them. The height of the steps determined the height of the basement ceiling. I really like this image of a miniature bathroom I found on Pinterest which lead me to a wonderful blog. I used it as my inspiration for the small powder room and staircase in the basement.

I like a mix of real and fantasy in my dollhouse. It bothered me that you would have to go though the entire house, especially as a guest to the top floor to use the bathroom. I originally planned to add stairs leading down from the main floor to the basement, but it was too congested on the main floor to add the hole for the stairs. So I'm creating two faux doors on the walls of the living room and dinning room that suggest how you access the basement. Then I added a set of stairs to nowhere that would in real life lead to the main floor. I moved the kitchen down stairs, added an exterior door and pantry. The brown wall is temporary until I can cut permanent one and attached it to the stairs. This will create a utility room underneath the stairs.


The bathroom is a there-sided box pushed flush against the left wall to keep it removable.
I going to attach the stairs to the right wall to create a removable  unit.
At the rear of the room is a door that leads to the empty space behind the bathroom and creates another room.

3 comments:

  1. Good ideas for adding a bathroom and removable stairs. It is always nice to be able to have access to spaces after the house is finished. I am using a similar mix of real and fantasy in my house, with false doors and a suggestion of how the attic is reached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jocelyn,
    Great additions to your house. It will be lovely and the extra room is always a good thing. I like your partitions very much.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas, Jocelyn! Love the additions and looking forward to the completed project.

    P.S.--So glad the Roper stove worked out! Adds lots of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete