Outside View

Outside View
The Exterior View of New Orleans Townhouse

Saturday, September 13, 2014

MARIE LAVEAU The Voodoo Queen Doll by Soraya Merino





When I saw her I just felt that she wanted to come to my dollhouse. This doll is a likeness of a real person, Marie Laveau who was born a free woman of color in 1794 and died in 1881. She became the most famous and powerful Voodoo Queen in New Orleans. Marie was a devout Catholic and attended Mass daily. Voodoo in New Orleans was a blend of West African religion and Catholicism. Marie began as a hairdresser and later became a nurse during the Yellow Fever epidemics. She was an astute business woman and was the first commercial Voodoo Queen. She specialized in romance and finance. She was skilled in the practice of medicine and knew the healing qualities of indigenous herbs.  She would sit with the condemned in their last moments, sometimes serving them their last meal. But I just thought this was a beautiful doll and she resembles the maid doll I have already, so maybe it's her daughter who took over for her when she died.

6 comments:

  1. She is just perfect for the dollhouse both visually and historically! I would want her to be the proprietor of the building. She worked and was able to buy it since she was born free and had her own business? She then bought her mom the maid's freedom and the house she used to clean was where she now resides with her daughter. I know I have a vivid imagination LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love it, I thought about that too but I have a family of dolls that I purchased from another doll maker prior to these.

      Delete
  2. Hello Jocelyn,
    Great purchase. she is beautifully detailed and very realistic.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is Beautiful, Jocelyn. The pose and most especially the clothes that she is wearing right away, show that she is a person of interest! She will fit right in with your current establishment.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful doll! Marie looks right at home in the townhouse, whether she's a member of the family or just visiting.

    ReplyDelete