Outside View

Outside View
The Exterior View of New Orleans Townhouse

Friday, June 28, 2019

Painted Shingle Farmhouse Roof


This was only the second time that I have installed wood shingles on a house. The first time was 35 years ago with a hot glue gun, it was just awful! I was less experienced and didn't know any better. I was so disappointed that I stopped miniatures/dollhouses altogether for years.

I used Quick Grip Glue this time:) and I decided to paint instead of stain. I was going for a weathered look. I have not used shingle dye before and I wasn't sure it would give me the effect I wanted. I can fix any mistakes better with paint.

I used Americana Decor Chalky Finish in "Artifact" which is a medium gray, as my base color. I used FolkArt Home Decor Chalk for shading-Maui Sand, Castle, for highlights Parisian Gray and Spanish Moss-for a little moss effect.

I am sure most of you know how to shingle, so this is really for me and anyone else who is intimidated by shingles. (So I will know what I did good or bad in the future). 

I decided to shingle my roof unassembled and flat. I felt I could see my mistakes better and I could paint without worrying about the house underneath.

I drew the lines according to the directions; I used a whole shingle for the first starter row and added an inch in-between lines.


I painted and glued the chimney and dormer window I bought to the roof.

I glued the gable together only.

Once dry, I reassembled the roof with tape and placed it back onto the house. The attic ends were already permanently attached to the house for support.

I drew the outline of the gable roof on the front roof, so I could see what area not to put shingles.

I started the process of shingling and trimming shingles along the gable outline as I went row by row. Once I had finished the shingles, I started painting the roof after 24 hrs just to make sure it was set.





I will glue the parts roof together to the house after the paint is dry to avoid any excess glue getting on the shingles and interfering with painting.

I went back and touched up a few areas once it dried

On a little side note this is my new favorite, Bench Circular Saw. 
I have a large table saw in the garage but it is not safe to cut these small parts. I developed tendinitis in my wrist from cutting small parts for the porch and beds by hand. I knew there had to be a better way. I found this on Amazon and after the first couple of cuts it had me at "Hello".  The cuts are so straight and precise, love it.



2 comments:

  1. Great job not letting this roof intimidate you! I hate roofing, too. Something always goes wrong for me but it's hard to avoid for very long, lol! The painted effect looks wonderful, and getting this saw is going to open up a world of new ideas for things you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a Terrific job on the roof, Jocelyn! It can be quite the tedious job, depending on how much roof there is to cover, but I applaud your applying the shingles before installing the roof, as it must have made the entire process Much Easier and Faster than expected. :)

    ReplyDelete