Outside View

Outside View
The Exterior View of New Orleans Townhouse

Friday, June 30, 2017

Mini Tribute to Mary Poppins

my birds fell over, not dead

 I love Mary Poppins! When I bought the Mary Poppins Doll, I immediately designed a room for her in the Painted Lady Dollhouse. Just like in the movie, I gave it the address "17 Cherry Tree Lane". I imagine this is where the wind blew her after she left Jane and Michael Banks. 

But it wasn't until I discovered the perfect "Bert" chimney sweep doll, that I was inspired to make the mini display of my favorite characters and scenes from the original movie. I thought that the wall outside the park would be a great backdrop for the dolls and scenes.
I love how his mouth is open like he is singing
I commissioned the same artist that made the "Chimney Sweep" doll, to make a "Bird Woman Doll". I purchased the pigeons on eBay.
The park bench and basket, I already had and I made the bags for the scene, Feed The Birds.

I made the "kites" from scrapbook paper, cloth covered floral wire and mini dowels, to represent the scene, Let's Go Fly A Kite.
The "chalk drawings", I drew with colored pencils to simulate the drawings on the pavement in that part of the movie.
The "landscape", I created using trees I purchased on sale from Michaels and a grass mat from HobbyLobby.

The "fenced wall", I used scraps of MDF, wood rectangles, doll bases and large finial caps. I had not planned to use the wall in front of the house and had made only half a wall to display on a small table but when I placed it there to dry, I liked how it looked in front of the house and create the extended wall.


I made a frame from wood strips to hold the plastic fence in place in the wall. Then I used black hammer texture spray paint on the fence and Venetian Gold metallic acrylic paint as accent. I sprayed the wall with a grey primer and stone texture spray paints.
scrap pieces for the base
rectangle, doll base, finial cap for the top
3 pieces: wall, pillar, sidewalk
rear view
side view
frame glued to fence
\
dry fit without glue
 black hammer texture spray paint and gold metallic acrylic

5 comments:

  1. Mary Poppins is one of favorite movies as well. You did a great job, love it! Such talent and detail, especially with the "chalk drawings."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved Mary Poppins. Jocelyn your gift is just amazing. Thank you always for sharing how you craft some things...really just so cool to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman you got some serious skills going on over there! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

    I love your sidewalk scene with the pigeons as well as the chalk drawings and the kits! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic project!!! Love Mary Poppins too...Stunning "chalk drawings"

    ReplyDelete